Sunday, June 01, 2008


Found this piece of shell late last week on a short walk up Indian River trail. I had about a half an hour, so thought to look at the mosses in a small creek that crosses the trail. Didn't find any new and different mosses, but did find this egg shell. It is a bit greener than shows in the photo. Lacking a book with photos of eggs, I've been scavenging around on the internet for something similar. So far the closest match is a crow, but I'm not certain.

In other bird news; found a nest in the young trees beside the path to the burn pile. Jeff was clearing trees and fortunately noticed one of the parents trying to lure him away and saw the nest. He wasn't sure what sort of bird it was, but thought it might have been a hermit thrush.
There is another young tree next to the nest tree with a convenient branch that affords a view into the nest. I climbed up the next morning to see what was in the nest and found 2 or 3 feathered young. Was thinking that the Hermit thrushes hadn't been around long enough to produce feathered young, but wasn't sure. The light was poor enough that I couldn't tell if the birds were moving, but assumed that all was well. Peeked again the next day and could see the birds chests moving rather rapidly. Too curious to wait any longer, so on June 5th decided to sit out by the nest until I saw the parents. I sat about 10ft away and it didn't take long for the parents to appear. They were song sparrows. I was sitting quietly for about 3 minutes when one parent landed in the blueberry next to me. He/She had a worm or larva in its bill when it landed. She/he started scolding me in a low key fashion, then the other parent landed on the other side of me. The two scolded back and forth and I held very still and tried to relax and keep my breathing even to see if they would decide I wasn't much of a threat. I probably should have given it a bit longer, but was concerned I was bothering them too much, so quietly got up and left.

The hummingbirds have finally decided that the window feeder is a good source of nectar. Have been treated to Rufous hummers feeding this morning (Friday). Not sure yet if it is one bird or a few. Kind of nice having the birds about 2ft away even if it is through a window.

No comments: