Saturday, July 19, 2008



July 2
Nice sunny day. I helped Emmelina with shopping for the trip and did a bit of wandering around Auke Bay. I had a little time before shopping to search out a plant that Jordan had seen on his way to UAS via the highway. It turned out to be a cultivated mint, Ajuga. On the way found a very healthy looking population of Platathera dilatata.

We finished the day with an orientation dinner for the cast and crew of Northwest explorations at Thane Ore house. I hadn’t really asked any questions about this trip when I agreed to go, just the dates. Now I have a better idea of what I’m in for. There are four boats following the Deception in the Grand Banks flotilla. The Navigator (Liz and Buster from Austin and Ingrid and Martin from Port Hadlock, WA), the Mystic Eagle (Bob and Maryann (CN) and Ken and Joanne (NJ), Arctic Dream (Bob and Pamela (Vancouver, BC) and Lady of Shalot (Lorenzo, Mario, Adolfo, and Giorgio from Genoa).

Deception is 52ft overall (49ft), beam between 12 and 16ft and draws 4ft of water. It is equipped with twin Lehman diesel engines, 2 generators (15 and 5kw), a water maker and every comfort of a rather fancy home. I don’t believe I’ve ever been on a smallish boat and been allowed to shower daily. Even with 5 people, it didn’t feel overly crowded. Emmelina and I share a cabin, it calls for coordinated use of the space, but not difficult at all.

No comments: