Friday, May 29, 2009

May 1 May 2 May 3 May 4 May 5 May 6 May 7
Common Loon 1
Barrow's
Goldeneye
2 2
Common
Merganser
2
Glaucous-winged
gull
8 9 18 8 2
Gull spp 2 8
Marbled
murrelet
2
Rhinoceros
auklet
6
Bald Eagle 2
Crow 1 1 1 1
weather sunny,
calm
calm,
sunny
calm,
light rain
cruise ships 1


Note that on the 4th, I didn't see any birds on the water portion of the commute. In the evening of the 4th, I saw 3 Rhinoceros auklets, 5 Marbled murrelets, 1 Pacific loon and a Mew gull.

The trail to the dock was pretty bird rich during this week. There were Golden and White crowned, Fox and Song sparrows; scads of Rufous hummingbirds, Nuthatches, Pine siskins, Winter wrens, Robins, Varied and Hermit thrushes.
Orange crowned warblers were singing in the garden on the 4th of May.

A first for the garden (at least that I observed) was an Olive sided Flycatcher. I was sitng on the boardwalk in the sun, talking on the phone when I noticed an odd looking bird in my peripheral vision in a nearby hemlock. Fortunately, it stuck around for several minutes and I could see the dark vest-like pattern on the chest.
The Menziesia and Red alder leafed out on the island during this period.

No comments: