Friday, August 03, 2007

Don't waste it on the floor and how long is your paddle?

The official day began at 8:30. I can't say that I slept in, but I did get to run to the Backdoor for coffee after dropping Brian off at UAS. The Backdoor and Theobroma seem to be important for successful completion of at least one kayak.
Slopped on the polyurethane on the top side. Chasing drips or being chased by drip demons? The top was slightly easier because of fewer facets and coats of goop. There was a slightly greater need for care because of visibility. I'm vaguely aware of putting more time into the bow since I will be looking at it. There was a small drip aka some snot on the stern left over from yesterday that adds that wonderful homemade look that was obviously lacking due to the extremely advanced skills of the builder...Brian periodically took over the smoothing, I think that he decided that he didn't want a totally whacked out looking kayak coming out of his class. The dyed skin is more prone to problems with the polyurethane so I was happy for the help.
Really, "happy for the help", should be the sub theme of today’s work. Most of the day was spent on the paddles. I should be very good friends with the block plane by now, but we are still merely acquaintances, perhaps uncomfortable acquaintances. Even the band saw and I are on friendlier terms.
The discussion of the paddle construction should wait another day since I've managed to forget most of the details of measurements, but I’ll plow ahead. The synopsis of paddle construction should include a reasonable amount of holding the paddle in the band saw like a pool cue, many central lines were drawn, and much fretting over planing facets. I suspect that it should also include measurements and shapes. All of the paddles began as 88 inch long boards (width?). Most of the construction involved gradually shaping the ends into beveled ends. I’m hoping that Scott took excellent photos of this. The first cuts created the elongated isosceles triangles at the end and the center hand hold. Subsequent work with the band saw and power planing beveled the face. The last shaping occurred rather ineptly on my part with the block planer, chisel and sandpaper. Anything done well was probably accomplished by Brian.
We were allowed a lot of time with the sandpaper (I’m usually competent with this tool) this afternoon. The red cedar is light in weight and very soft, I did put one mark in it with the clamp. I didn't want to spend too much time sanding it after I thought of the abuse it will soon receive. We finished the paddles with two coats of oil.
As the building portion gets less intense, it’s easier to get distracted with other things, eg. practicing with the bow drill and measuring head circumference. Did have a nice walk to John Brown's beach at lunch. The coast guard added a fence between the Searhc property and the road to the beach, so we had to do a minor amount of pushing through the salmonberry and cow parsnip. Didn’t get to spend much time there and still managed to get back to class a little late. Not too late or I’m sure that my cookie would have been forfeit.

Was inspired by the sunny day and the relatively early finish time to drive up Harbor Mtn road. We walked as far as necessary for Brian and Jackie to see their kayak route. The Dodecatheon, Pedicularis, Cassiope and Castilleja were still blooming.

No comments: