Monday, September 24, 2007



An often intensely rainy day, a fine day to spend the afternoon at the movie theater watching an entertaining musical. Why do I always watch them, if I don't really like musicals? Cognitive dissonance?

On the way to the movie, I made a quick stop at the lake to look for the reported cackling goose. I couldn't remember what such a bird was...the National Geographic bird book in the car didn't use the name. Seeing it confirmed my suspicions about it being a type of Canada. Always more to learn. Too bad I didn't look at the ducks. I'll have to take a bit more time tomorrow.

The path home had a higher concentration than usual of black-legged Kittiwakes. Two had very dark patches on the backs of their heads. It's been about couple of weeks without any marbled murrelets (maybe just one or two total).

A mink was scampering down the boardwalk between Litmans and the house, it cleared off as soon as it heard my approach. At least one Golden-crowned sparrow survived the sharp-shin hawk. It was in the garden when I arrived home.

Jan delivered a CD of the bird photos, I am posting the clearest of the lot. I'm feeling better about calling it a grouse. I suppose it could be an escapee, so I should ask around about people's pets.

No comments: