Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The morning commute once again was missing the petrels, but they returned for my post ballet run home. Yes, lately I only see the birds after dark, but I'm fairly certain its not just a late night dream. There weren't as many birds, nor did they hang around the boat as long as on previous nights.
The group of common loons reported from the west side of the island made their way to the southeast corner of Galankin this afternoon. At least I presume that they were the same birds. It was a group of 10 common loons that were off of Rush's island then floated their way past my house. In addition to the regular garden birds, I saw a hermit thrush perched in the inner branches of a mountain ash.
Identified two of the unknown fungi I collected yesterday. One was Russula urens. It has a green cap, cream spore print, is intensely acrid and an unpeelable cuticle. The gills aslo turn yellowish as the spores mature.
Fortunately there was only one green capped Russula that was acrid tasting. For once, something was easy.
The Tricholoma keys to imbricatum and I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'd like to find a complete description to be certain. The distinctive features of this species is the brown fibrillose cap with a striate margin. The base color of the cap seems cream or white. The gills and stem bruise brown, except for a band of white at the stem apex. The stem has some brown fibrils on it as well. The gill attachment is distinctly notched. The other mystery mushroom is another Tricholoma, but with black fibrils. The gills stain brown on that one as well. I'm too tired to tackle it tonight.
Lucy told me about an 8 inch Gomphus kauffmanii that Rich found by the hatchery. She also said that the Amanita muscaria were fruiting out at Starrigavan. I hadn't thought of that species as a late season fungus, but it certainly seems to be (at least this year).

No comments: