Sunday, December 23, 2007

Got out to observe one of the higher
tides of the year this morning. The high was 12.5 ft at 11:22am. There were two 12.8 tides in November and a 12.6 in October, so this wasn't the largest tide. It was however helped along by a large low pressure system and accompanying gale. The photo is of the house on lot 4 which is on fill added to what I assume was an existing beach to expedite the removal of gravel from the quarry (now a lake). On the highest tides the house has a saltwater moat with small waves lapping at the porch. The water covers the trail in front of the house, but it is possible to wade through with rubber boots. I have seen the water deep enough in this spot to necessitate carrying small children. The other place on the trail that was submerged was on the west side of the dock approach. It was too deep to wade without getting wet and there isn't going around because the trail abutts a cliff. I suppose a dedicated person could get around, but I wasn't that motivated.
The tops of most of the dock pilings were about shoulder height for me. Found Parmelia ( probably sulcata) a Brachythecium and a small Vaccinium ovalifolium/alaskense growing on the tops. Impressive with all of the creosote around.
Saw Robins, a Varied thrush, song sparrows, winter wren, juncos, chickadees and golden crowned kinglets on the walk.
Briefly woke up this morning around 6am and saw the fullish looking moon and Mars through the westward facing window of Deirdre's room. The moon was nicely lined up with the window and filled the hallway with light. It was a nice view of Mars and the moon. There was another bright object that I briefly thought must be another planet, but couldn't find one that would fit. Must confess that I've had an underlying doubt about the date full moon. I thought I had checked the Sky in December section in Natural History magazine, but alas I had looked at the November issue . So the full moon is today.

Most of the snow disappeared on Thursday and Friday in the rain and wind of this lovely low pressure system we are enjoying. Crossing my fingers that the weather is adequate for traveling down to Goddard on the 26th. Also crossing my fingers that Deirdre makes it in today. She got out of Chicago where she was stuck yesterday and is hopefully on her way home now.

No comments: