Sunday, March 09, 2008

Decided that it was time for a walk in the woods regardless of the weather. It was raining rather hard in the morning, but there were variable lengths of breaks in the afternoon. It wasn't an favorable start in terms of weather, as soon as I arrived in town, it started to hail, but didn't last long.
I had been warned at the opera that the Indian River trail was rather slippery, but found it to be fine. I was a bit cautious though after trying to crack my hard head open on the Cross trail. I had at least learned by that mistake to avoid the pools of water on top of ice .
The water was alot higher than it was on my last visit, but then alot of snow has been melting as well. Found a pair of dippers in the reach below the gravel bar on this trip. When I first saw them they were about 1ft or less apart working the center of the stream. One caught a small fish and got it down pretty fast while I watched. I'm assuming by their proximity that they were a pair. I couldn't see any noticable size difference between the two birds, so I'm not positive that they were a pair, but I seem to remember that dippers are rather territorial. Regardless of their relationship, they were working the same reach of the stream rather compatibly.
I didn't see a bird in the other reach that I've seen one on the way up the trail, but did find it on the way down. Not sure if the two birds I've been watching through out the winter are the pair I found today or not or for that matter how many total dippers are residents of this river. Good thing Mary is returning in a couple of weeks to remind me of everything I was supposed to have learned last winter, hopefully I'll have time to take her up the river.

Went as far as the second bridge, was thinking about going to the muskegs, but unfortunately answered my phone on the trail and was called to return to work on the grant. Before I turned around heard a flock of something over the noise of the river. Finally found a mixed flock of siskins and redpolls in the alders in the Polystichum andersonii spot (below the second bridge).

On the way back saw someone's fire through the woods toward the west valley. Curious creature that I am started to walk toward it to investigate, but decided it might not be one of my smarter moves and returned to the trail.
The water wasn't so high that I couldn't walk down the bank in a few spots. Found what I hope is a Mnium on the cut bank (it is probably an Oligotrichum) there are paired teeth, but I still need to make certain there aren't lamellae. With it was a Fissidens, of uncertain species at this point.

Surprised a mink when crossing the river near the owl spot. It scurried off, but lured me into the woods. Was amused by the pink flagging that said "escape route". Seemed like a good route to me. Collected a resupinate fungus from a very rotten snag, not sure that there is any hope of identifying it, but might as wel try.
Lots of Guepiniopsis alpina and a few smaller Panellus fruiting right now. No Coptis yet.

Stopped by Swan lake on the way home (not avoiding work, just waiting for Ian). Hoping to see the Hooded merganser, no luck, but did find two swans on the far side of the lake. The female ring-necked duck, lesser scaups, and the usual residents were around.

Was wrong about the flowers in the garden. Looked a bit closer and found a few snow drops blooming and the crocus leaves were starting to push up.

No comments: