Friday, May 02, 2008




Although it isn't the usual natural history that I usually record, consider this a special topic in this blog; human grooming behavior.





I met up with two friends that were a significant part of my life from age 11 through 17 (graduation for me) last week in Portland. Maureen and Gail decided that we should do something on the silly side of fun before we went to eat Indian food (my request).



Pedicures seem a little on the bizarre side to me, but sound like they are a relatively regular thing for my friends. The other threesome in the place seemed to agree with my assessment of the practice, but were quite willing to be indulge themselves. Three guys from Kentucky, fortified with alcohol had decided to see what was so good about pedicures that women would pay for the service on a regular basis.
Gail, Maureeen and I were enjoying the incongruity of at the sight of the guys in what is generally thought of as a woman's activity. We were laughing enough that we thought it appropriate to tell the guys that only real men would get pedicures.



This was the second pedicure in my life and they both happened within a month of each other. Not sure what brought about this change in behavior, but I can't imagine that it will become a regular thing. Although I have to admit that soaking my feet in a hot bath, followed by a massage and the most strange of all, dipping my feet in hot wax could be somewhat relaxing. Don't think that I need to have bright red toenails to feel well groomed. I don't think it made me feel particularly girly either, just a bit silly. The sandals Gail provided were some how quite appropriate.


No comments: