Monday, November 09, 2009


November 8
I was fortunate enough to go out to the island Saturday at 4:30 and stay there until 1:30 the next day. It was a rewarding bit of home time both from the stand point of regaining some energy, accomplishing a few things and being treated to some enjoyable sights and sounds.
On one break from writing I went outside to plant some tulips (the latest ever!) and heard the distinct sound of a flock of shorebirds below the house. So decided to venture down the cliff to see if I could be quiet enough to watch them for awhile. Now, I'm not sure if I was actually quiet or if the birds weren't too worried about a large creature above them on the beach. At any rate, I sat and listened for awhile. There were about 120 mixed Surfbirds and Black Turnstones on the rocks; working the Fucus. They would scatter when the occasional big wave covered the rocks. I didn't do so well capturing their periodic flights, but I enjoyed them never the less.
While down there, a flock of about 20-30 Swans flew over headed in the direction of Aleutikina.













No comments: