Friday, June 29, 2007

June 29th
Cloudy, but nice.
I had alot of errands to do today for tomorrow's camp fundraiser, but found some time to check out the Moller park bioblitz site again.
The small mystery flower of the last visit was the introduced Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis scorpioides). There was alot of it blooming in the waist high grasses and sedges. I keyed out the open panicled grass to Poa trivialis (also introduced). It seems like the spikelets start out green and change to green/purple as they mature. Trisetum cernuum was blooming along the edge of the marsh along the cliff. Now I need to find the Calamagrostis canadensis that I put on the list in the spring.

The Comarum palustris, Galium trifidum , Ranunculus repens and Luzula multiflora var. kobayashii were in bloom. I had forgotten how unique the flower of Comarum is, the short dark burgundy petals and longer mottled sepals seperate this fairly well from any other flower one might encounter around here.
I'm fairly certain that Hippuris vulgaris was not on the original speices list.

Two mosses that I didn't have on the list were Sphagnum squarrosum, which is rather large with distinctly squarrose branch leaves. It's so distinct and beautiful right now that it's embarrassing that I didn't notice it in April. It's rather abundant in the wetter edges of the sedge marsh and along the lake going north.
The other moss is Calliergon giganteum. It is a large (2-3 inches tall), yellow-green upright moss with a strong midrib and swollen alar cells. It was reasonably abundant along the lake edge under the Carex aquatilis.
Judging by the number of plants that I missed, I need to make a few more visits to this site to feel comfortable with a good species list.

No comments: