Thursday, June 07, 2007

It's time for another attempt to keep a log of my wanderings. The slips of paper stuffed in Anderson's Flora of Alaska isn't going to work that well.

From where I sit at my computer I have a grat view of the garden with a background of forest. In mid May just before I left on vacation, the garden had several golden crowned sparrows scratching away and a few rufous sided hummingbirds working the crocus and pulmonarias. The golden crowns are gone, but have been replaced with hermit thrushes. The garden itself is very full, probably more than a little chaotic to most people, but just what I'm looking for in a garden. The two raspberry canes growing out of the Rhododendron is probably over the top, but oh well.

Last Sunday, I took advantage of the unexpected nice weather and walked up Indian River to the long muskeg. It was a convoluted journey since I went on a few side trips on the way. I stopped at the "shot pine" muskeg to look for Sphagnum and to see what was blooming. I noticed Kalmia microphylla, Andromeda polifolia, Rubus chamaemorus, Carex pluriflora, C. livida, and Trichophorum caespitosum. I collected a few sphagnum, one small red species, S. wulfii and a larger light brown Sphagnum that I've only keyed to section sphagnum. Fortunately the latter should be easy to eventually identify in the field, because it is alot more robust and compact in its branching pattern than most of the other sphagnum in the muskeg. Spread myself out on the moss for awhile to enjoy the sun and listen to the juncos. I need to not embarrass myself about that bird again.

Also stopped at a small island in the river and found Carex macrochaeta and Romanzoffia sitchensis blooming. There was also a small crucifer that I'm not touching until it fruits. Looked at most of the Osmorrhiza to check species, all were purpurea. Also noticed Listera cordata in bloom.

Continued wandering up to the long muskeg, just as much to see if I could find it on my own as to actually go there. I was satisfied with my ability to easily find it, but it wasn't terribly satisfying being there by myself so I didn't stay too long. On the way back, I explored the area along the river just below the second bridge (?) near the cut-off to the muskeg. Found a small patch (about 6 or 7 individuals) of Polystichum andersonii. The older fronds had small, but visible bulblets which were easy to find by feel. The new fronds didn't have discernable bulblets and I'm not sure when they develop. I'll have to check periodically this summer. Collected a great Scapania from the river edge and a Hypnum from a log. Both had abundant sporophytes.

I did see a very young robin near the trail head. It still had astray looking feathers on its head and a very spotty breast.

No comments: