Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I've not spent much time outside the last few days as I've been attempting to be diligent about writing plant descriptions and admittedly being an incredible slug. I've had to postpone the hike to the Indian river falls until Deirdre is over her cold.
Did get lucky and scar up a western screech owl Saturday evening about 5:30. I was trudging noisily homeward head down through the alders in the common area when I saw the owl flying away from me. I was a bit irritated with myself for not paying attention, since it had obviously been in an alder right along the trail. Got lucky again as it landed in another alder not too far away and I got a good long look at the bird before it flew off again. Haven't seen it since then, but can't say that I've been outside after dark either.

Sunday it snowed from around 8:30 until approximately 2pm. Ended up with about 2 to 3 inches of snow on the island. After it stopped,Deirdre and I walked around the island. Relatively quiet for birds. Did see a Varied thrush in the alders and a Red-necked grebe by the dock.

Besides writing did look at the bryophytes I collected from the Yellow cedars on Kruzof. The Plagiochila seems to be P. satoi, although I'd like to see drawings of the leaf margins of the different taxa to be sure. P. satoi, P. schofieldiana, and P. semidecurrens all occur on Chamaecyparis, so I'll have to look at the marginal teeth on every one I collect.
The Herbertus is H. aduncus var. aduncus. Fortunately the treatment for this genus is available on the eBFNA. The four species listed in Schofields liverwort guide have been consolidated to 3 species. H. sakuraii has been incorporated into H. dicranus. I'm not sure what happened to H. haidensis.

The clumped mosses from cedar were all Tortella tortuosa, I thought that there might have been a second species in the collection, but it was just a smaller plant.
Haven't gotten to the mosses from the basalt cliff yet.
Did identify one of the smaller polypores collected as Trichaptum abietinus. The larger rusty orange one, I'm not terribly satisfied with yet. It turns black with KOH, which made me think it was a Phaeolus, but now I'm not too confident. I'd like to find one that is a bit fresher to work with. The ones I have seem a bit far towards the rotten side.
Have 31 descriptions written.

No comments: