Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Walked around the Baranof St. cemetary after dance class looking for Bohemian waxwings that were reported Monday. Always feel a little silly chasing yesterday's birds, but I like to assume that I will at least see something that I wouldn't have seen regardless of the success of the search.
This time I didn't see the waxwings or any birds other than ravens and eagles. It was quiet back there except for the wind.
What I did find was some great habitat for epiphytic lichens. The cemetary has crab apple, european mountain ash, red alder, sitka spruce, western hemlock and probably some other trees that I've overlooked.
I haven't done much of a survey yet and based on what I found today, I probably should. One lichen that I found looks like Nephroma bellum. It is a medium sized brown foliose lichen with apothecia on the underside of lobe tips. The lower surface is light brown or tan and smooth, the upper surface darker and smooth. The photobiont is a blue green bacteria.

The second lichen I found is most likely a Nephroma isidiosum. It is also dark brown on the upper surface and has a lighter colored tometum on the lower surface. Some of the "hairs" are bottle-brush like. The upper surface has tallish black isidia on the lamina and on the margins of the lichen. The photobiont is a blue-green bacteria. The tomentum really threw me off, I decided that it was a Peltigera, but couldn't find a species in that genus that fit very well. What eventually got me back to the (hopefully) right track was the presence of a lower cortex. This was only clearly present in cross section. This species has only been reported from the Yakutat forelands and mainland river valleys. Lovely.

Did see a robin on the island Monday morning.

No comments: