Sunday, May 04, 2008

April 24-26

The other unofficial piece of the Bryophyte workshop was birds. In both of bryophyte workshops that I've indulged in, there has been at least one avid birder. In this class, it was Tim Rodenkirk of Coos Bay that was supplying the local expertise.

On the field trip to the West Fir area: White crowned sparrows, Hermit Thrush, dippers, Townsend's Solitaire (first for me), Turkey Vultures, Red-tailed hawk, and a Rufous hummingbird or two.

Friday and Saturday, Tim and I met at 6:20am and drove to Skinner's Butte which is just the other side of downtown Eugene. We parked below the gate and walked up, most of the crowd showed up just after 7:30 when the gate opened.

Friday: 6:30-7:50am
Nashville, Black-throated grey, Orange-crowned, Wilson's, Townsends, Myrtle and Audubon Warblers
Robin, Hermit Thrush, Bushtits, Brown Creeper, Pine Siskins, Spotted Towhee, Nuthatch, Golden crowned, and Song sparrows, Bewick's Wren, Lesser Goldfinch, Downy Woodpecker, Steller's and Scrub Jays and an Osprey

Saturday: many of the same birds with a few additions:
Merlin, Osprey (with nesting material), Acorn Woodpecker, Turkey Vulture
Vaux's swift, Violet green swallow, House finches, and an alleged cross between an Anna's and a Rufous hummingbird.
I couldn't really grasp the nuances of the potential hybrid myself. It sure didn't display or look like any rufous that I had seen around here, but I'll defer to the local experts.


The Black throated grey was another new species for me. It was a very striking bird, Sibley almost does it justice.

Cierra and I stopped by Minto Park before I went down to Eugene. It was nice to spend a little time with her, and hopefully infect her with some enthusiasm for natural history. Fat chance, but might as well try.
Enjoyed listening to the Red-wing blackbirds. We also found Wood ducks and I'm pretty sure observed a very brief mating of two Northern Flickers.

No comments: