Sunday, May 18, 2008


Sunny with light, but determined northwest winds. In other words inspirational weather after the rain of the previous week.
Decided it was about time to take the skin on frame kayak out for a paddle. It was breezy enough that I decided against going around the airport, and instead headed for the rocks off the north shore of the Twins and Ball Islets (I hadn't previously noticed the name on the chart). I was curious if any of the shorebirds were using the rocks as they had been the last time I kayaked. No luck, so headed toward the park. It was convenient to travel southeast of the anchored cruise ship in order to avoid most of the shore boat traffic. I wasn't interested in negotiating their relatively large wake.
Paddled up the river just to the flats, then back around the battleground beach. I'm not sure I would have seen the 7-9 whimbrels if it wasn't for a couple of people walking down the beach. The birds flew up, around in a small circle then landed again. It was a bit difficult staying still in the wind and looking through the binoculars was problematic, but I was close enough to get a nice look.
Spent the afternoon and part of the evening working in the garden. Cleared out a few beds (didn't cook any of the weeds this time, I was mostly pulling up Mainanthemum). Dug up the bearded iris and divided them in some what more manageable chunks. They were crowded enough that they didn't flower last year. Also started Cauliflower (Panther and Cheddar) and Rubine Brussel Sprouts. The snap peas are soaking overnight, I'll plant them tomorrow.
The Erythroniums and Drumstick Primroses are at peak bloom. The Daffodils are pretty nice as well.
Gardening was much more interesting because of the birds; saw Golden crowned (2), Fox, Song, and Savannah Sparrow, Townsends and Orange-crowned warblers, Robins, Varied Thrush, and Hermit thrushes. The Rufous hummers were chasing each other around the garden, there was an almost constant hummer chatter/noise. One was investigating last year's Fireweed capsules, I couldn't see if the bird collected any of the remaining white fibers.
Also checked 3 of the red Ceratodons in the garden with KOH, on the off chance that I had overlooked a Bryoerythronphylllum. None turned red, so I'm sticking with Ceratodon.

No comments: