Saturday, May 29, 2010


On the third day of the trip we left Suloia bay to try yet again to venture up the outside coast of Khaz peninsula. We quickly figured out that was not happening. I had already lobbied to walk to Sea Lion cove if we had to wait another day (we had already visited the bad weather acessible parts of the wilderness). I had two excuses; it was a good way to spend a day waiting for the weather and I hadn't been there since I carried my then 9 month old daughter (now 22 ) on my back. It had clearly been way too long since I had been there.

The trail is in pretty good shape, I probably didn't need my boots except to get in and out of the skiff in the bay. We did notice that a bear had been digging under and taking bites (?) out of the boardwalk in a few places in the muskeg closest to the trailhead.

There was an impressive pile of obviously collected plastic garbage near the junction of the trail and the beach. Perhaps it is destined to get picked up?



There were a number of flowers blooming on the beach: Fragaria chiloensis, Arabis hirsuta, Carex macrocephala and Dodecatheon pulchellum and my favorite grass, Hierochloe odorata (by whatever name it goes by these days).
Calypso bulbosa was blooming under the spruce trees (near the surf board cache). It was interesting that we didn't see this orchid on the other uplift beaches we visited.





I spent some time with my nose in the uplift beach meadow looking for Botrychium, where I actually found it was right beside the trail.
There were several plants, B. spathulatum, all under 5 inches tall on both sides of the trail.

I suspect there is more of it growing further down the beach, but our time was limited, so didn't get to look on this visit. Given how quick the walk is to this beach, I really need to visit a bit more often.



We saw a large group of what was probably Sanderlings, one Dunlin and a Black bellied plover on the beach.



































































No comments: