Sunday, December 07, 2008


Still have a crush on the Nuthatches that are visiting the feeder. They have been joined this week by 10 juncos, at least 5 Chestnut-backed chickadees and a Brown creeper. The creeper was working the trunk of the tree that the feeder hangs in.

Week Three of the commute count. I've been taking notes on the sea state, so thought I might include them here. What I have noticed is that the choppier the seas, the more ducks near the Galankin dock. In any weather most of the birds I see are between Galankin Island and Kutkan island. The exceptions are the Long-tails and the Common Murres which so far are closer to Crescent harbor.

12/1/0812/2/0812/3/0812/4/0812/5/0812/6/0812/7/08
Common Loon11
Horned Grebe1
Pelagic Cormorant42442
Great Blue Heron1
Mallard9
Harlequin222
Long-tailed Duck21
Surf Scoter321227848
White-winged Scoter5
Barrow's Goldeneye1361912182225
Bufflehead773
Common Merganser510
Mew Gull3
Thayer's Gull1
Glaucous-winged Gull23418535
Common Murre2
Raven1
WeatherCalmCalmCalmChoppyCalmSW rippleCalm


There are still fungi to be found in the area. Mostly Panellus spp, Mycena occidentalis and M. epipterygia. Also fruiting is Guepiniopsis alpina (gum drop jelly?). The Panellus longuiquus I've found this week has varied from hot pink to grey in color. I've found the small white version of this fungus on Vaccinium parvifolium, Menziesia and now on exposed roots of a small windfall Sitka spruce.

Found my first Panellus serotinus on Western Hemlock this week. It was growing on two trees, both had numerous fruiting bodies of Fomitopsis pinicola. Apparently hemlock isn't an unusual host, I just haven't seen it here. Found a particularly large one growing on a Red alder. It attracted my attention to another alder with several Xylaria. Not sure which one it is yet. It isn't hypoxylon and it doens't look like polymorpha. I need to locate spores to use the key I found, but so far the perithecia are immature. Fortunately, Xylaria dry and store pretty welll.
Another or maybe the same Western Screech owl was in the commons this eveing around 5:15pm. It was sitting in a willow at a height just above my head (way less than 6ft up). It let me walk within about 2ft of it. I stopped and spoke softly (some very inane nonsense), then walked past. After I passed by, it flew off.

No comments: