Sunday, November 30, 2008

This week I skipped Thursday as it was Thanksgiving and I stayed on the island, should have gone kayaking as it was a very nice day.

11/24/0811/25/0811/26/0811/28/0811/29/08
Common Loon1
Pelagic Cormorant3354
Long-tailed Duck2
Surf Scoter262267
Barrow's Goldneye4177
Bufflehead7
Common Merganser4
Mew Gull11
Glaucous-winged Gull231515
Black-legged Kittiwake1
Bald Eagle111
Raven1/


On the 24th I started to take notes about the birds I see on my way to the dock. Suffice it to say that it is alot easier to count birds on the water than it is in the woods. Most of that information will be presence instead of numbers and alot of the information on presence will be based on sound. At this point, the trail observations are still in my notebook, they may end up in a digital form this week.

First snow fell at sea level (at least while I was watching) this morning. Didn't stick around for long though.

Scared up a Western Screech Owl on the way home around 6:30pm. It was on the ground near a pond (or large mud puddle) near where I've seen the snipe. It flew up into a Red Alder and stuck around despite me trying to see the effect of a soft whistle. I'll have to look for feathers in the morning.

No comments: