Thursday, November 27, 2008



Decided that it was time to take better notes about when mushrooms are fruiting. Although I have a sense of which species I find through out the year, I don't have very good documentation of the phenology. The last couple of weeks, I've found; Hypholoma capnoides, H. fasiculare, Lactarius alpinus (1st photo), Hygrophorus olivaceoalbus, H. camarophylllus, Collybia acervata, Pholiota sp., Panellus serotinus, P. longiquus, Pleurocybella porrigens, Crepidotus spp. possibly Panellus mitis, Mycena epipterygia and probably two species of grey striate lignicolous Mycenas (so much fun). Also found a Psathyrella which I haven't managed to id to species.


I've avoided Mycenas for a very long time, mostly because it takes a sharp single edged razor blade and a skilled hand to cut miniscule cross sections of miniscule gills in order to look at the shape of the cystidia. The skill is a bit variable, but I can buy razor blades. The yellow stemmed Mycena fits the description of M. epipterygia. Another somewhat similar species is flavoalba. If I had Meltzers I could be a bit more certain as M. epipterygia has amyloid spores and M. flavoalba does not. I'm more comfortable with epipterygia because of the somewhat viscid stem (notice the debris stuck on the mushroom) and the habitat and coloration seems to fit epitpterygia a bit better. I've found it on well rotted wood (either moss covered logs or branches) in scattered groups and sometimes in fairly tight clusters.


The grey somewhat frosty looking Mycena in the photo was growing on a rotten conifer log. The frostiness developed as it dried. When wet it was uniformly grey with a striate margin. In the center of the rather bad photo of the gill edge, there is a structure that looks like it has several stubby projections. There were basidia with pretty tidy looking sterigmata, so I'm interpreting this structure as a branched cystidia. Could be wrong and I'll try for a better section later.


This one seems to fit the description of Mycena occidentalis in the very fun section of the Pacific Northwest key to grey or brownish species and their cystidia . The key led me to M. subcana, and a note at the end of the that species description sent me to M. occidentalis. The hygrophanous, frosty cap, striate margin, cystidia with blunt projections, and occurence in clusters on conifers are the characteristics that seem to indicate that occidentalis is a reasonable fit. It is hard for me to be too confident with some of these species.


No comments: