Monday, November 17, 2008

Started noticing the distinct smell of mink in the basement last weekend. The mink like to move into the rather large space under the house below the mudroom. They don't actually get into the house, but the odor is intense.

Cheap canned tuna seems to be the best bait for island minks. I've tried jam and salmon scraps, but their weakness seems to tuna.
This one was not that happy to be photographed or for that matter to be carried down the trail. Unhappiness was expressed by scrambling back and forth in the cage and by an impressive odor. emitted from its scent glands. Carrying the cage 1/2 mile with an unsettled mink was satisfying, but not necessarily a treat. This one went to town in the skiff and was released on the city dock. Last year I spray painted the tail of one captured mink to see if they would return and didn't see any sign of that one after its removal. Not exactly conclusive evidence, but I'm not fond of the idea of moving the mink further using the car or of killing the mink. I suppose if I wanted the fur for something, I might reconsider.

In other island animal news, the semi-tame deer seems to be missing, at least it isn't frequenting the common lot by the dock any more. I'm not really sure if another resident decided to eat the deer or if it wandered off, but I'm guessing that it is more likely the former explanation.

There does seem to be a snipe living in the commons lately. I've flushed it twice, once on Friday morning and on the way home tonight. Both times it flew up pretty directly, then dropped just as quickly about 100ft away. The first time I thought that the wind caught it (it was gusting about 35-40 mph). Tonight it was very calm and it did the same thing. I could be the vegetation that is dictating the flight path.

There are still at least 6 nuthatches visiting the feeder, along with an equal number of juncos and chickadees.
The Galankin lake surface is largely covered with ice.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Nice pics. Have you considered gathering data on the mink and running them across a track plate or something when you catch them?

Kitty said...

Thanks. You might have to clue me in on track plates, I was thinking of using paint and paper, a technique that I've used on small, unhappy dogs.

Jonathan said...

That's the basic idea, but done up a bit fancier. Elbroch's Mammals Tracks & Sign has a brief description on page 23 and references the USFS report here: http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/28924 that has a more detailed description starting page 67 (page 75 of the pdf).